I’m a designer, thinker, craftsman and storyteller. I am multidisciplinary specializing in graphic design, user interface design, user experience, and front-end web development.
The heart of my career has been uniting different disciplines across design, business, and technology, resulting in products with beautiful design and engaging user experience.
I believe that great design solves real problems. Building products that are fruitful, clean, and alluring is very hard work. But it is worth all the time and effort. I am passionate about creating products that connect with their users to make their lives and jobs easier and more meaningful.
UX Design Manager
Tenable Network Security - 2016 - 100% Remote
- Led a team of five that included UX Designers, Researcher, and Analyst roles.
- Designed and integrated workflows and processes within and outside of the UX department.
- Managed workload of concepts, features and triage between product, engineering and design.
- Conducted weekly design collaboration reviews and presentations from the design team.
- Presented executive level design concepts.
- Created the vision for a user-centric company culture.
- Successfully converted the team from designers to include research and analyst roles.
- Started the company’s first Usability Testing process.
- Built and integrated a new 30/60/90 design process.
- Spoke at Baltimore Innovation week on “Integrating a UX team into an Engineering Driven Culture”.
UI / UX Designer & Front-End Developer
Bitovi - 2014-2016 - 100% Remote
- Led and worked within client teams to conceptualize and design modern, single-page applications.
- Created wireframes and interactive prototypes.
- Conducted user testing and feedback sessions.
- Designed hi-fidelity comps for internal websites products.
- Developed HTML/CSS/JS in the stack with developers.
- Engineer CSS architecture and builds.
- Designed and built Style Guides for clients
- Contributed to internal open-source projects.
- Led two teams at Apple, Inc. on the prototyping, experience, and design of “Scout” (a data and analytics application for the wireless diagnostic division) and “Nemo” (the content management system behind the Apple online store front).
- Led the Levi’s design team on the overhaul of the existing website to a responsive, single page application.
Owner, UI / UX Designer, Front-End Designer
Atom Groom Design - 2001-2012 - 100% Remote
- Responsible for all aspects of running the business.
- Managed client relationships.
- Hired and worked with contract developers.
- Designed corporate logos and other print materials.
- Designed hi-fidelity comps for websites and apps.
- Built a business of over thirty full-time clients.
- Moved from a home office space to a commercial office space.
- Voted Best Web Design Company in Northwest Indiana, 2011.
UI / UX Designer & Front-End Developer
Sierra Trading Post - 2012-2014
- Created wireframes and fun whiteboard sessions.
- Designed complex, interactive prototypes.
- Designed hi-fidelity comps based from prototypes.
- Designed and maintained icon library.
- Developed HTML/CSS/JS directly in the stack with development team.
- Served as the bridge between engineering and design.
- Redesigned the web, Android and iOS version of the product that resulted in an increase in revenue, user satisfaction, and brand consistency.
- Converted website from static CSS to LESS and helped engineer the LESS architecture, build, and deployment.
Short Term Positions
Director of Design and User Experience
iCitizen - February 2015 - May 2015
Director of Web Development
Fracture - February 2014 - May 2014
The International Academy of Design & Technology
- Associate of Applied Science in Computer
Graphics / Graphic Design, January 2001.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Multimedia Production
and Design, December 2002.
- User interface design
- User experience design
- Interaction design
- Prototype design
- Graphic design
- Stakeholder presentation
- HTML & CSS engineering
- LESS / SASS preprocessing
- Responsive design and development
- Modular component engineering
- GIT / SVN source control
- Command line
- NPM / Grunt / Gulp
Tools and Apps
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Atom / Sublime editor