Extensive experience in user-centered design, user experiences, and beautiful code for digital products. Effective at integrating functionality and design. Strong conceptual, layout and typographical skills boosted by ten years of professional design experience. Exceptionally well-organized work style. Able to manage multiple projects and meet tight deadlines. Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills. An enthusiastic team player and fast learner. Excellent communication skills. A skilled leader and reliable designer.
February 2014 to Present
Director of Web Development / UX / Front-End Development
Responsible for managing a small, remote web development team. Responsible for project management, process management, and user experience.
- Designed the company’s first mobile site
Sierra Trading Post, Inc.
February 2012 to February 2014
User Interface Designer and Front End Engineer
Responsible for designing user experiences with the in-house team for one of the world’s largest e-commerce retailers. Responsible for working directly with the in-house development team on front-end development of new iterations, features and bugs.
- Redesigned the mobile version of the site.
- Designed the Android, iPhone, iPad App User Interface and Experience.
- Designed and developed the experience of several new features of the website.
- Converted the website to a LESS CSS development environment with the development team.
- Built the company’s first online style guide.
Atom Groom Design, LLC
January 2001 to February 2012
As owner of my own small freelance business I am responsible for all aspects of running the business. Graphic Design, Web Design and Development, Client Relations, Vendor Relations, Accounting, etc.
- Built a business of over thirty full-time clients.
- Designed, developed and maintained several large and complex websites as well as small websites.
- Successfully concepted and designed brands, logos and other print materials.
- Moved from a home office space to a commercial office space.
Manufacturers Products, Inc
December 2008 to February 2012 – Valparaiso, Indiana
Responsible for design, maintenance, front end programming and testing of two large e-commercie websites. Worked with a team of web developers to create a custom web portal to maintain e-commerce sites. Managed all web marketing, e-mail campaigns, search engine optimization, and more.
- Worked with a team of Ruby on Rails programmers to create a completely custom e-commerce web application from the ground up.
- Learned to work with in a GIT web production environment as well as learned basics of Ruby on Rails and HAML.
Madhaus Studio, LLC
March 2008 to December 2008 – Valparaiso, Indiana
Web Development Manager
Responsible for design, front end programming and testing of all web sites from the ground up. Created search engine optimized web sites and micro sites. Consulted with clients on re-programming their sites to be SEO friendly and implementing the process. Worked with a team of graphic designers to create compelling web site user interfaces to take into the build out phase.
- Coded the entire front end of the 2008 Centier Bank Site.
- Re-Designed and Re-Coded the White Lodging site for Search Engine Optimization
- Developed a web design process increase production stability and flow.
- Promoted from Senior Web Designer to Web Development Manager
March 2007 to March 2008 – Valparaiso, Indiana
Senior Web Designer
Responsible for designing and programming compliant websites from the ground up. Worked directly with client and internal project managers to meet tight deadlines. Designed and created flash animations, flash banners and e-mail creatives. Worked directly with creative director for all of Livemercial branding including website, print collateral, and promotional materials. Helped to manage a creative team of 13 in both the Indiana and Florida offices which includes designers, web developers, video editors, and copywriters.
- Developed several internal web application interfaces
- Front-end development and launch of several large client websites including:Eastman Kodak, Spacebag, As Seen on TV Network, and many more.
- Developed a web design process increase production stability and flow.
- Worked with team of programmers and developers to create the new “VCC5” System.
Bad Boyz Toyz, Shocktech, The Badlandz, Krush Skatepark
March 2004 to March 2007 – Calumet City, Illinois
Art Director, Web Designer, Web Master
Created graphic design for logo identity, major industry magazine advertisements, in-store signage, p.o.p signage, large format signs, banners, brochures, price guides, flyers, clothing graphics, and skateboard deck graphics. Designed and maintained over ten major websites. Worked with photographer on product photo shoots. In charge of in-house T-shirt printing press including: managing employees, printing color separations, quality control and excellent knowledge of the T-Shirt printing production process. Position required excellent project management skills.
- Re-designed the e-commerce website from the ground up, encompassing everything from creating the user interface, front-end development and final implementation.
Squad Company / ImageSure
February 2003 to March 2004 – Chicago, Illinois
Graphic Designer, Web Designer
Created graphic design for retail environments. Design including major monthly promotions consisting of all types of in-store point of purchase graphics; ceiling danglers, floor graphics, free standing signage, end cap promotions, gas pump advertisements, light pole signs, large billboards, window signs, menu panels and weekly magazine inserts. Managed company website from start to finish.
- Designed the Conoco Phillips national re-imaging program
- This consisted of creating an entire new look to every Conoco Phillips gas station in the United States. Graphics were produced for all of the insides and outsides of each gas station.
Mexus Ink Corporation
February 2002 to February 2003 – Chicago, Illinois
Graphic Designer, Web Designer, Production Manager
Created graphic design for all types of environments depending on the customers needs. Created, maintained and managed company website. In charge of printing and maintenance of a large format Roland digital printer. Created color separations for professional T-Shirt screen printing as well as assisted in final setup of machinery used for T-Shirt Printing.
June 2001 to March 2003 – Chicago, Illinois
Created graphic design for various layouts depending on the clients needs and budget. In charge of outsourcing print projects for clients to different types of printers. In charge of printing and maintenance of two full color printers as well as seeing the rest of the project requirements through by managing a production team. Position required excellent project management skills.
Liquid Generation .com
March 2001 to June 2001 – Chicago, Illinois
Created web graphics for an internal website geared towards the “generation x”. Created Flash animations as well as a variety of other animated .gifs for the internet. Also worked with the production team on the filming, audio recording and final implementation of Liquid Generation Productions.
I am a highly skilled graphic designer, user interface designer, user experience engineer,
and front-end web developer. I work hard to create clean websites with excellent experiences.
Excellent communication, presentation, client liaison and project management abilities.
Adobe Creative Suite, Axure, MS Office, Coda, Brackets, Sublime Text, GIT, SVN, Visual Studio
- HTML +++++
- CSS / LESS +++++
- Responsive Web Design ++++
- Modular & Scalable HTML and CSS ++++
- CSS and JS Frameworks +++
- Able to hand-code HTML and CSS ++++
- Experience with various systems such as WordPress, Joomla, and Magento
- Extensive knowledge in cross-browser compatibility, web usability and functionality.
- Basic knowledge of MySql & PHP, .NET & SQL Server, MVC, Ruby on Rails.
- Worked in Agile, Lean, TDD development environments.
Operating System Overview
- Extensive knowledge with Apple OS
- Basic knowledge with Microsoft Windows OS
The International Academy of Design and Technology, Chicago, IL.
- Associate of Applied Science in Computer Graphics / Graphic Design, January 2001.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Multimedia Production and Design, December 2002.